Flame from Candle cause Local Fire

Written By: Kearney Hub

KEARNEY — Smoke and flames caused heavy damage and killed a dog Thursday in a mobile home fire at East Lawn Mobile Home Park.

The State Fire Marshal determined an unattended candle was the cause of the blaze.

According to the Kearney Volunteer Fire Department, firefighters were dispatched to Trailer No. 96, owned by Morgan Rezac, in the East Lawn complex at 2900 Grand Ave.

Crews found heavy smoke and fire coming from the structure and pulled hose lines and applied water from the exterior of the structure while other fire fighters entered the residence.

The KVFD said personnel inside faced smoke and high heat. Crews extinguished the fire and conducted a search of the residence. No occupants were found, but crews located a dead dog.

The home sustained heavy fire damage in the room of origin and heavy smoke and heat damage throughout the structure.

KVFD was assisted by Kearney Police Department, Nebraska Public Power District and Northwestern Energy. The city water department and Red Cross also helped. The state fire marshall was called to investigate the origin of the fire, and determined the cause was a candle.

Leave a Reply

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: